118 - Velen's Chosen: Kobolds Cards Round 2
The visionaries set out this week to talk about their last moments in the ranked ladder for November and get rolling on talking through 37 new cards. There are cards we “whitelisted” as cards not labeled for serious discussion so we can focus on the stuff that stand out as interesting to us!
- AndrewisLiving (Repeat)
- Direwolf (First time)
- ReganisPrime (Baker’sDozen)
- Wickedgood (3rd)
- Rizen (Repeat)
Card Reveals (49 Remain)
- Voidlord: 9 mana Epic Warlock Demon minion 3/9 Taunt. Deathrattle: Summon three ⅓ Demons with Taunt.
- Fal’dorei Strider: 4 mana Epic Rogue minion 4/4 Battlecry: Shuffle 3 Ambushes into your deck. When drawn, summon a 4/4 spider.
- NOTE: This effect does not trigger things like Wild Pyromancer or Auctioneer. If you get this in your hand somehow (Thoughtsteal for example) they are castable spells that summon a 4/4.
- Hungry Ettin: 6 mana rare neutral minion 4/10 Taunt. Battlecry: Summon a random 2-cost minion for your opponent.
- Cataclysm: 4 mana epic Warlock spell. Destroy all minions. Discard your hand.
- NOTE:confirmed that if Malchezaar’s Imp was on board it would draw cards before it died.
- Call to Arms: 4 mana epic Paladin spell. Recruit 3 minions that cost (2) or less.
- Lynessa Sunsorrow: 7 mana Legendary Paladin minion. 1/1 Battlecry: Cast each spell you cast on your minions this game on this one.
- NOTE: The spells cast on her do not count towards the Paladin Quest, The Last Kaleidosaur. A spell cast on her through her Battlecry with the Adapt mechanic will choose an Adaption at random - you do not get to pick. Spells cast on Lynessa are done so in a random order, not the order the spells were played in-game.
- Windshear Stormcaller: 5 mana epic Shaman minion 5/5 Battlecry: If you control all 4 basic totems, summon Al’Akir the Windlord.
- Primal Talismans: 3 mana rare Shaman spell. Give your minions “Deathrattle: Summon a random basic Totem.”
- Kobold Hermit: 2 mana 1/1 common Shaman minion. Battlecry:Choose a basic Totem. Summon it.
- Lesser Amethyst Spellstone: 4 mana Rare Warlock spell. Lifesteal. Deal 3 damage to a minion. (Take damage from your cards to upgrade.)
- Amethyst Spellstone: Lifesteal. Deal 5 damage to a minion.
- Greater Amethyst Spellstone: Lifesteal. Deal 7 damage to a minion.
- Vulgar Homunculus: 2 mana Warlock Demon. 2/4 Taunt. Battlecry: Deal 2 damage to your hero.
- Kobold Librarian: 1 mana Warlock minion 2/1 Battlecry: Draw a card. Deal 2 damage to your hero.
- Geosculptor Yip: 8 mana Legendary Warrior minion. 4/8 At the end of your turn, summon a random minion with Cost equal to your Armor (up to 10).
- Skull of the Man’ari: 5 mana Legendary Warlock Weapon 0/3 At the start of your turn, summon a Demon from your hand.
- NOTE: This is the Demonology Warlock Artifact Weapon in Legion. Sidenote, but Spine of Thal'kiel is actually the weapon, whereas this is more of what they call an “off-hand” slot. Off-hands are typically something magical in nature and used by Mages, Priests, or Warlocks primarily when they are not using a 2-handed weapon like a staff. The art is from the “Pride of the Pitlord” Visual version of this weapon (green color), and requires 8 world boss kills and ALL Mythic (hard mode) Dungeon Achievements. Most of these are a long quest chain that are core to this expansion, but this one is an 11-part quest chain.
- LORE: Before the eredar (the original race of the Draenei people before the corruption/influence of Sargeras) served the titan Sargeras, one of their greatest leaders, Thal'kiel, had unprecedented skill with summoning and binding magics. Driven by ambition, he reached into the Void and was answered with knowledge of dark creatures unlike any the eredar had seen before. Thal'kiel's apprentice, Archimonde, discovered his master's dark pact and revealed it to Thal'kiel's fellow rulers, who banded together to strike Thal'kiel down. After his defeat, they had his skull gilded and placed on display as a warning. Today the Dreadlord Mephistroth uses it to enhance his ability to summon and command demon armies for the Legion.
- Unstable Evolution: 1 mana epic Shaman spell. Transform a friendly minion into 1 that costs (1) more. Repeatable this turn.
- NOTE: You can use the spell as many times as you want in one turn. At the end of your turn, the card is removed from your hand.
- Leyline Manipulator: 4 mana rare Mage Elemental. 4/5 Battlecry: If you’re holding any cards that didn’t start in your deck, reduce their Cost by (2).
- Evasion: 2 mana epic Rogue spell Secret: After your hero takes damage, become Immune this turn.
- Furbolg Mossbinder: 5 mana Neutral rare minion. 1/1 Battlecry: Transform a friendly minion into a 6/6 Elemental.
- Unidentified Shield: 6 mana Warrior spell. Gain 5 Armor. Gains a bonus effect in your hand.
- Tower Shield +10: Gain 10 more Armor.
- Serrated Shield: Deal 5 damage.
- Runed Shield: Summon a 5/5 Golem.
- Spiked Shield: Equip a 5/2 weapon.
- Deck of Wonders: 5 mana epic Mage spell. Shuffle 5 Scrolls into your deck.When drawn, cast a random spell.
- Scroll of Wonder: 5 mana Cast a random spell. Draw a card. Cast this when drawn.
- NOTE:These random spells do not count toward things like Open The Waygate or spell trigger cards like Violet Teacher. You can't pick the targets. The spells can be from any class, much like a Yogg-Saron trigger.
- Reckless Flurry: 3 mana epic Warrior spell. Spend all your armor. Deal that much damage to all minions.
- Drywhisker Armorer: 2 mana rare Warrior minion. 2/2 Battlecry: For each enemy minion, gain 2 Armor.
- Elven Minstrel: 4 mana rare Rogue minion. 3/2 Combo: Draw 2 minions from your deck.
- Ixlid, Fungal Lord: 5 mana Legendary Druid Elemental. 2/4 After you play a minion, summon a copy of it.
- Possessed Lackey: 5 mana rare Warlock minion 2/2 Deathrattle: Recruit a Demon.
- Val’anyr: 6 mana Legendary Paladin weapon 4/2 Deathrattle: Give a minion in your hand +4/+2. When it dies, reequip this.
- NOTE: Val’anyr, hammer of Ancient Kings, was the weapon given to the Earthen King, Urel Stoneheart, by the Titans themselves. He was to use it to create and give life to more earthen. It was supposedly shattered during the first war between the earthen and the iron dwarves but players can gather the pieces, of which they need 30, and throw them into the maw of Yogg saron, during the raid. Id they defeat him, they can loot his corpse for the weapon. It is meant for healing classes and can be wielded by druids, paladins, priests and shaman, and has high enough damage that is can also be used by their damage dealing specs as well. Blizzard had to nerf it eventually because it was so powerful, characters were taking it into the next expansion, Cataclysm. Basically it has a chance, when you heal someone, to cast the spell; Blessing of Ancient Kings which puts a bubble on the target that protects them from a certain amount of damage for 8 seconds, which let me tell you is a long time in a raid, especially if you are the tank. And it stacks. You could only complete the quest to reforge this weapon on heroic mode.
- Lesser Emerald Spellstone: 5 Mana Rare Hunter Spell. Summon two 3/3 Wolves (Play a Secret to upgrade)
- Emerald Spellstone: Summon three 3/3 Wolves.
- Greater Emerald Spellstone: Summon four 3/3 Wolves.
- Lesser Onyx Spellstone: 5 Mana Rare Rogue Spell. Destroy 1 random enemy minion. (Play 3 Deathrattle cards to upgrade.)
- Onyx Spellstone: Destroy up to 2 random enemy minions.
- Greater Onyx Spellstone: Destroy up to 3 random enemy minions.
- Lesser Diamond Spellstone: 7 Mana Epic Priest Spell. Resurrect 2 different friendly minions. (Cast 4 spells to upgrade.)
- Diamond Spellstone: Resurrect 3 different friendly minions.
- Greater Diamond Spellstone: Resurrect 4 different friendly minions.
- Twilight’s Call: 3 Mana Rare Priest Spell. Summon 1/1 copies of 2 friendly Deathrattle minions that died this game.
- Dragoncaller Alanna: 9 Mana Legendary Mage Minion. 3/3 Battlecry: Summon a 5/5 Dragon for each spell you cast this game that costs (5) or more.
- Dragon’s Fury: 5 Mana Epic Mage Spell. Reveal a spell from your deck. Deal damage equal to its Cost to all minions.
- Dragonhatcher: 9 Mana Epic Neutral 2/4 Minion. At the end of your turn, Recruit a Dragon.
- Kingsbane: 1 Mana Legendary Rogue 1/3 Weapon.Deathrattle: Shuffle this into your deck. It keeps any enchantments.
- Crystal Lion 6 Mana Rare Paladin 5/5 Minion. (not a beast) Divine Shield Costs (1) Less for each Silver Hand Recruit you control.
- Bladed Gauntlet: 2 Mana Epic Warrior 0/2 Weapon Has Attack equal to your Armor. Can’t attack Heroes.
- To My Side! 6 Mana Epic Hunter spell. Summon an Animal Companion, or 2 if your deck has no minions.
Velen’s Chosen Links:
Battlenet Group Invite
Twitter, Discord, Patreon, Facebook,
>>Full Show Notes<<
Rob: Instagram, Twitter, Overwatch Podcast, Twitch, Concept Craft
Grant: Twitter, Soundcloud, Battle.net: Watchman#1140
Eve: Twitter, Twitch, Battle.net: Kaeleigh#1919
Official Sponsors of Velen’s Chosen: Jamie S.